Oeceoclades maculata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Cute little flowers

Oeceoclades_maculata_zps022c0792.jpg

Oeceoclades_maculata-close_zpse4fa60c1.jpg

I agree, "Cute little flowers" but I would describe the photos as beautiful.

Chuck

very nice!!! How do you grow it? How many growths does it have?

Nice. I would like to see the full plant photo, foliage, number of bulbs, etc., also. :) And how it's grown.

You'll be disappointed. I got the plant last year from someone in Florida. I think the plant was growing in the ground, and the person placed it and the soil it was growing in in a pot and shipped it to me. It had one growth and a back bulb. This year the plant grew another bulb and flower stalk, which is what I posted. So far, each pseudobulb has produced one leaf. The leaves are mottled, and remind me of some Paph. leaves. Someday, it will be a pretty plant.

The ferns have been growing there naturally (I pull them out when the get too big.) I placed the moss there.

Oeceoclades_maculata-plant_zpsa22fea68.jpg

Thanks. Not disappointing at all. I have 2, both with 7 fat growths, and I was wondering if they are blooming size. There is so little info on Oeceoclades culture that I can't figure out how to bloom them. I also got another roseo-variegata in our Taiwan order.

Thanks. Not disappointing at all. I have 2, both with 7 fat growths, and I was wondering if they are blooming size. There is so little info on Oeceoclades culture that I can't figure out how to bloom them. I also got another roseo-variegata in our Taiwan order.
My two just kinda bloom for me. I don't do anything special.

light/dark, dry/wet, hot/cold???

LOL! Yes to all.

I've collected this species in Peru growing in all the conditions you listed.
Always terrestrial.
Growing in solid clay but more often in loose leaf litter.
Very wet in the warm rainy season and very dry in the cooler dry season.
Light levels are normally low since it grows on flat ground under the canopy.
In our garden it would grow and bloom under just about any conditions except full direct sun. Seedlings sprouted regularly around the garden flower beds.
One thing that I was told buy a "local" plant enthusiast was that he believed the bulbs needed to be covered with leaf litter to make it bloom. That does not make much sense but that was the observation in his garden. And in reality most of the plants I saw growing wild were covered in leaf litter. So maybe you should pile leaves on your plant and see what happens? ;)

Here's a wild one...
PeExLa12_0013a.jpg

;)

The dry season in Peru starts about May or June and lasts until about mid September. Temps drop sometimes into the low 50s for a week at a time. It does rain but not much, but enough to moisten the soil at times. There is a lot of condensation dripping from the canopy at night.

Some plants I saw did have very tiny bulbs smaller than in the picture.

I would speculate that this species grows in "soils" that are on the fertile side so maybe more fertilizer for your plant.

Hey Dot, nice little guy.

I've seen this species in south Florida in hammock forests. In summer it is silly hot and perpetually humid and wet, in winter it is "cool" (50-70 F) and the rains virtually stop. The grow in nearly pure leaf humus. They flower like mad in that place, so maybe that can be of assistance.

I'm growing this one with my Phrags: Bright light, intermediate, and less water in the winter.

My other one is angustifolia, and it's growing in lower light but intermediate temps. Same watering regimen.

Latest posts

Back