Bulbine Latifolia

The plant forum
Chrisg

Bulbine Latifolia

Post by Chrisg »

I know there are not many succulent / alpine / south african plant fans here, but I struggled with this one for years, so am chuffed it is actually going to flower.

First saw it at Kew years ago, and noticed every single time I was there it was in flower. Mind you their label is wrong as they have it as bulbinella latifolia which totally different, so not sure how they can not have noticed.

bulbine-latifolia

Anyway tracked down some seed, as out of all the I sowed, 5 germinated and one by one dies, until I was left with two. To my surprise not only did they survive, but I managed to get them through winter, and moving house, and another winter. I haven't quite got the watering right yet for winter and in spring they tend to look a bit bedraggled, but the new leaves soon take over, and for the first time this year they are both flowering.

bulbine-latifolia-June13

This one now has two flower spikes, the other only has one. Should be a good summer once they get going.

Actually a lot of the succulents are enjoying the warm end of may start of june. Quite a few first time flowers.
LONGK

Re: Bulbine Latifolia

Post by LONGK »

I must confess that I'm developing quite an interest in SA plants, thanks in no small part to Scampton Succulents. Have a few Lachenalia species coming along from seed, including L.viridiflora (bit of a challenge as they're winter growing). I'm also getting into the dark and murky world of succulents too now that the g/house will have a little heat this winter.

Your Bulbine looks interesting - what are the winter requirements?
Chrisg

Post by Chrisg »

There are a lot of lovely South African plants. and Scampton Succulents is a great place to start.

I have two of these, one was brought inside, the other left in an unheated cold frame which went down to -6.5 as a test. Both seemed to do as well as each other. I will repeat this next year, just in case. If you are going to be keeping your greenhouse above -3 i wouldn't expect it to have any problems.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Pleased it has flowered for you Chris, it is such an interesting plant.

Agree with you about the flowering succulents, I don't think I've ever seen as many of my own flower.

I really hope the larger Aloes put on a show this year, no one can fail to be impressed with the red hot poker like flowers, as well as thier foilage.

Wayne
Chrisg

Post by Chrisg »

I think the succulents have been less bothered by the cold spring than many plants. Although to be honest while up until march was cold, we have had enough sunny days and warm weather since. I think London has done a bit better than much of the UK.
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

Chrisg wrote:There are a lot of lovely South African plants. and Scampton Succulents is a great place to start.
You've used them in the past? I'm more than happy with them - had high germination rates on everything from them and 100% germination on all the Lachenalia species so far. If they were offering fresh Lapegaria seed I would buy.
Chrisg wrote:I have two of these, one was brought inside, the other left in an unheated cold frame which went down to -6.5 as a test. Both seemed to do as well as each other. I will repeat this next year, just in case. If you are going to be keeping your greenhouse above -3 i wouldn't expect it to have any problems.
Thanks for the advice.
Mark

Post by Mark »

That bed in the temp house at Kew has all been dug up now chris :( I know you always used to linger in that part longer than anywhere else.
Chrisg

Post by Chrisg »

LongK: Yes I found the same as you good germination rates for seeds from Scampton Succulents. I think they have a good reputation.

Mark: Yes I noticed that when I was last there, it is a big cycad storage area now. Hopefully it will be restored once the restoration work has complete don the greenhouse.
Chrisg

Post by Chrisg »

The first flower stalk is starting to open. Not as full as the kew ones, but not a surprise given they are outside.

bulbine-latifolia-flower-01-jun13

the individual flowers are very pretty, but hard to photograph.

bulbine-latifolia-flower-02-jun13
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic