IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dombeya wallichii

Peter

1 hour ago, BigFrond said:

Bees love this tree.  The flowers are nice but the tree leaf drop is yuge, same goes for the flowers.

More bees is always better then fewer .. Shed Leaves and flowers, = lots of good mulch / compost to be made.. :greenthumb:

Too bad the heat here would likely fry these or i'd plant a couple.. Smaller, white flowered sp. from Africa seems to do fine w/ AZ heat, but is never available for sale.

• 2 months later...

I live here in Casa Grande near the Cooledge boarder, and I have two Dombeya wallichii's I've had from Logee's, of which they grow awfully fast in pots (I had one in MN about close to 20 years ago of which I kept indoors during the winters; but took back outside when it warmed up. Just like when I lived "WAY UP NORTH" and I'm wondering if they'll do good in the ground here? I planted one in the ground in front of my house of which it gets sun about 3:00PM until sunset, but it's shaded otherwise.  I'm wonder in my area (even though the heat isn't too much different than Phoenix during summer) will they fare better here then in Phoenix? I also have a peanut butter plant and a pineapple guava; and lemon guava; oh and I forgotten about my tabernaemontana coronaria plena of which is hardy to zone 9 (of which I may be zone 8b or perhaps 9a I think) which is a bit hardier then the tabernaemontana divaricata which is hady to zone 10 and up. Any ideas of whether I can plant the above mentioned plants in the ground here, or would it be best to plant in 20-22 inch plastic half wine barrel???? HELP!!!LOL And thank y'all so kindly. Depending on how they do over time, I'll be posting pictures on herefor y'all to see. I also have 3 pygmy date palms in the ground as well since late winter, and two of them are OK, but one had rotting leaf stems that pulled right out from the center of the plant (leaf heart) I'm glad there wee other palms clumped together with them as well. I hope the rest of the clump will do better and being this is my first time putting palms in the ground (they're from 12"-16" pots) One of the three I put in the ground right away when I first got it; and it's doing well; the other two I left in their containers and they succumbed to the near record lows of late winter. I hoe the clumps on the other two recoup overall and wasn't nearly affected like most of the clumps did. Should I just leave the other two and see how they'll do(being new fronds are green and are starting to come up in recovery; or should I just dig them up and start with newer plants? Any suggestions will greatly be much appreciated, and once again; thanks.