New Lelya 2.0, .177

This little beauty got to my grubby hands last week. Many of these I've seen on the web have beautiful wood. This one doesn't have as much figure as some out there, but it's still a beauty.

IMG_20200904_121437 - Edited 1.1599696657.jpg

Out of the box it was throwing JSB 10.34 pellets at 980-something fps, and she had quite a bark. Made a series of adjustments to the hammer spring tension (note- a few clicks go a long way at the top end), eventually settling on ~900 as a good balance of speed, sound, and air usage. At that setting the sound is much softer. It's acceptably quiet, but not whisper quiet... may look into the Bat moderator & see if the reports are positive, but it'll be fine as is for my backyard.

Working the lever was a little rough at first, but smoothed out within a few magazines. After the first range session, worked an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner around the mechanisms, then lubed the bearings very lightly with gun oil. The levers have no mechanical advantage, so won't be as light as ones that do, but they're now quite smooth with a satisfying, precise feel.

Took a few tries to figure out the best way to load the magazines. Tried with the skirts just inside the edge, but a few worked back out. Tried with the pellet in as far as it would go without poking out, and a few worked out the front. Pushing them in slowly, could feel the widest part of the pellet's head slip past the first o-ring & settle between the two. Must be the sweet spot; a tin later & no more working their way out. Have read of the Matador R5M/Lelya 2.0 magazines having issues indexing, but no problems with that. Something to keep an eye on.

Trigger was kind of a mess at first, but there's a happy ending. A little over three pounds out of the box. Shot CMP sporter rimfire (3 lbs minimum trigger pull) for a long time, so a three pound trigger doesn't scare me... crisp & predictable are everything. Unfortunately, it wasn't those either. First/second stage transition was indistinguishable, and the whole thing felt like it was dragging. The two Matadors I've owned were both bought used, and had acceptable triggers when they got to me. So, first time adjusting an Edgun trigger. Read the instructions, studied a drawing of the mechanism I found on the web, and went at it. ~20 minutes of alternately turning set screws & testing resulted in a very light first stage, solid wall at the second stage, VERY crisp release, and peak weight consistently between 1 lb 4 oz & 1 lb 6 oz. I don't want it any lower, and doubt it could go much lower (safely). Completely awesome for me, but I know some folks would want lower pull weight. If you're considering one of these, keep in mind you probably won't be able to achieve sub- 1 lb, at least through the adjustment screws.

Had to wait a while to assess the rifle's precision. The four or five days after it arrived were quite windy; 5-20 mph & never the same speed/direction for more than a moment. Used the time to get familiar with the rifle, trying different holds etc. Winds finally calmed down yesterday, and it was nearly dead calm for the last hour or so of shooting light. Got a rough zero at 50 yards, then shot the five, five shot groups shown below, consecutively:

PXL_20200908_231954666.NIGHT - Edited.1599699070.jpg

PXL_20200908_232032629.NIGHT - Edited.1599699084.jpg

PXL_20200908_232146034.NIGHT - Edited.1599699094.jpg

PXL_20200908_232307315.NIGHT - Edited.1599699103.jpg

PXL_20200908_232358278.NIGHT - Edited.1599699117.jpg

Daylight fading fast, did one more group- 10 shots at 65 yards, all I can squeeze out of my backyard range:

PXL_20200908_232455152.NIGHT - Edited.1599699173.jpg

Very, VERY pleased with those results! BTW, all shot with JSB 10.34 grain pellets.

If you stuck around this long, thanks! Here's a chronograph string for your enjoyment: 😄

Thanks for all the feedback 👍.

Agree that the performance is very good for such a compact rifle. The loud report & bad trigger that it had out of the box had me wondering if I'd made a big (expensive!) mistake, but both were easily remedied with the available adjustments. It's hard to put into words just how much better the trigger is after adjustment.

How do you feel shooting offhand with it?

It felt really weird at first! It's much shorter than anything I've shot before, but actually very ergonomically friendly (is that a thing?). Very easy to get all of the gun's weight supported by bone & large muscle groups, and after a few sessions offhand, I can see why people who have them praise it for offhand shooting. Best compliment I can give it - carries like a lightweight rifle, holds like a heavier rifle. Was somewhat skeptical of the offhand praise... how can such a short, relatively light gun be great at that? I'm eating crow on that thought (happily).

I have it's bigger brother coming Friday.

Looking forward to a full report! Have a box of the 12.5 grain NSA that I'll eventually get around to trying in the Lelya. If you have any trouble getting some PM me, be happy to share some with you.

Don't sell that wood short it looks amazing to me!

I hear ya, didn't mean for it to sound like a complaint at all! It's a looker for sure, been pretty fortunate with the last two rifles purchased.

At this point, the only nit I have left to pick (way too early to comment on reliability) is the noise. It's acceptable (to me) at ~900 fps, but was obnoxious above ~920 fps. Some of that is the hammer ping (R5 has it too), but I think there's some room for improvement.

First off... good luck finding a BAT🙄 I can tell you that the effectiveness is not nearly as apparent on the .177 as compared to other calibers. I have left mine with the OE moderator.

My Lelya 2.0 .177 is my go to airgun. Dearly love it. Mine is at 890 with the 10.34 ED pellets. It also shoots the Baracuda Hunters with almost no POI shift.

Sound clip...

https://youtu.be/RnlKtcxzQnI

First off... good luck finding a BAT🙄 I can tell you that the effectiveness is not nearly as apparent on the .177 as compared to other calibers. I have left mine with the OE moderator.

My Lelya 2.0 .177 is my go to airgun. Dearly love it. Mine is at 890 with the 10.34 ED pellets. It also shoots the Baracuda Hunters with almost no POI shift.

Sound clip...

Thanks for the info! Saw that they were out of stock... guessing they'll be that way for awhile, with all the focus on Leshiy 2 & Valkyrie. Probably best to keep the ~$150 & put it in the Alkin W31 fund.

Forgot to ask you, if you got yours new, did it come with the metal or plastic trigger?

It was bought new from Edgun West, and the trigger blade is some kind of filled plastic.

First off... good luck finding a BAT
1f644.svg
I can tell you that the effectiveness is not nearly as apparent on the .177 as compared to other calibers. I have left mine with the OE moderator.

Sound clip...

Thanks for the info! Saw that they were out of stock... guessing they'll be that way for awhile, with all the focus on Leshiy 2 & Valkyrie. Probably best to keep the ~$150 & put it in the Alkin W31 fund.

Forgot to ask you, if you got yours new, did it come with the metal or plastic trigger?

It was bought new from Edgun West, and the trigger blade is some kind of filled plastic.

Another good choice👊🏻 The Alkin is proving to be a reliable machine. It is great to have an endless supply of clean dry air👍🏻 They are great for filling storage tanks and cascade systems. They are not meant for direct filling of small airguns. The auto shutoff and auto condensate drain are not necessary but are very nice if you will fill tanks for friends. No need to supervise the compressor allows you to catch up or go shoot👊🏻

@dreamweaver - this gun might be able to do that.. when experimenting with the hammer spring adjustment, got this one down to 845ish with the 10.34 & pretty sure it would've gone lower. Only did a few shots at that speed, so can't vouch for consistency or accuracy at that power. 

Thanks again for the feedback @JWilson!