IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Castanospermum -- Cape Chestnut

DoomsDave

A friend of mine has acquired a jones for Castanospermum and wants to know how to raise them from seed or other means.

Anyone have any ideas?

The seeds are very large, about the size of a walnut.

Here's a pic of a young tree.

800px-200410_Castanospermum_australe.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a pic of the flowers, tucked among the leaves. Quite spectacular.

393px-Castanospermum_australe_flowers_and_foliage.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They are easy to germinate if they are fresh. They don't have to be planted deep, leave about half the seed exposed at the surface (this gave me 100% germination). Growth in initially slow but speeds up.

David, Fl

david

Dave--

They're often poly-embryonic, so two sprouts often pop off each seed. I'd recommend removing one once they get a few sets of leaves. Because of its eventual size, this tree should be grown with a single trunk, not with two trees/trunks competing for space and root room.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Dave the "Cape Chestnut" is actually Calodendrum capense. Quail Botanical had one flowering during the event this weekend. Castanospermum australe is the "Moreton Bay Chestnut". It too was flowering at Quail. Just trying to help :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

You can buy both of them relatively cheaply and inexpensively. Around where I live, they are available in a whole host of sizes, from 5 gallon to 24" box or larger. The Castanospermums do better for me - no issues whatsoever - while the Calodendrums seem to always be losing their leaves, not really dying but not really living either.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

The Calodendrum capense is not too hard to germinate from seed. I have two from seeds that are now 7 and 8 feet tall. I think they're about 2.5 - 3 years old. Anybody want to trade, just let me know. BTW, there are two fairly large Calodendrum capenses on Leucadia Ave on the left hand side before turning right on Quail Garden Dr. This tree will take about 5 - 7 years to flower. There is also a very nice one in UCLA.

• 4 years later...

Could anyone suggest a good place to purchase the seeds of Castanospermum australe on the internet in the United States by mail in small quantities.

Edited by JRT256

Check in the local big box home improvement stores. Young trees often sold as small houseplants as a pseudobonsai

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

JRT welcome!

Hang here some more, even if you think palms are ugly . . . :)

Could anyone suggest a good place to purchase the seeds of Castanospermum australe on the internet in the United States by mail in small quantities.

B&T is European (I think) but has seed: http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Castanospermum%20australe%20svs&sref=25274

How many seeds are you looking for? If you can't find online, send me a PM. I know of several trees that often have seed, so I could probably get a few. But transportation isn't easy for me these days, so I can't promise overnight sourcing and delivery.

Edited by fastfeat

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

You can buy both of them relatively cheaply and inexpensively. Around where I live, they are available in a whole host of sizes, from 5 gallon to 24" box or larger. The Castanospermums do better for me - no issues whatsoever - while the Calodendrums seem to always be losing their leaves, not really dying but not really living either.

I have one I planted in 2005. It is a large tree and every year does the same thing. It has never flowered and always drops leaves. It is finally being cut down in Spring.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The one growing here at Leu Gardens was planted in 1995 and didn't start flowering until a couple years ago. Seems they are shy bloomers at first. But since then it has flowered every year.

img_1720.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

B&T is European (I think) but has seed: http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Castanospermum%20australe%20svs&sref=25274

How many seeds are you looking for? If you can't find online, send me a PM. I know of several trees that often have seed, so I could probably get a few. But transportation isn't easy for me these days, so I can't promise overnight sourcing and delivery.

Yes, I was aware that they were taking reservations. The USDA has made importing seeds to the US a problem so it would be nice to be able to buy them from a US source.

castanospermum( Moreton Bay Chestnut), Calodendrum capense (Cape Chestnut) I have both and both are Very Slow growing the cape chestnut takes about 7 years to flower or more and Moreton bay chestnut take about the same length of time. Honestly if I where you i'll rather buy one from the nursey since they are sort of common.